Call It Scandalous!

What the heck is Valentines day all about? What's the history behind it? well to sum it up...
"Legend has it that Valentine was a priest who served during third century Rome. There was an Emperor at that time by the name of Claudius II. Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those that were married. With this thought in mind he outlawed marriage for young men in hopes of building a stronger military base. Supposedly, Valentine, decided this decree just wasn't fair and chose to marry young couples secretly. When Emperor Claudius II found out about Valentine's actions he had him put to death."
http://holidays.kaboose.com/valentines-day/history/val-history.html
 Ok so it's a day devoted to forbidden love? That's what I got from it. I don't that was a very practical or even neccesary way of thinking. However it caused me to think of other old ways of thinkning that I believe the world would be better to observe again.
Let's rewind to the early 1900's.
"A typical couple in the early 1900's did a little something called "courting".
Courting wasn't something young people did merely for a good time; it was a serious family business proposition. Surprisingly, the main players in the marriage process often weren't just the bride and groom; they were the parents of the bride and groom. "
http://www.verticalthought.org/issues/vt02/historydating.htm

Whoa. Ok thats a little different. First of all I don't know a ton of teenagers today that actively discuss and involve their parents when it comes to the person he or she may be dating. And also it's funny to think if dating were looked at the same way today as it was then, that it seems 2nd graders would be discussing marriage- because aparently people in second grade these days have somewhat serious relationships. /:(


Now now, I'm not saying that everyone needs to get married right away. Really what I'm reffering to is how the boys treated the girls. Chivalry was far from dead.
A girl was asked on a date and the date was formal. She was treated like a queen (as all women should be treated.) Doors were opened for her, she was given his jacket if it got chilly, and he always went to go get her her drink.
Also, I believe most of the time back then, the boys would nto kiss until like the 5th or 6th date. And sex? Ha yeah right.

However my main point that I'm trying to get to (AND NOT TO BE HYPOCRITICAL) But I think sex back then was totally treated differently. Those who had sex before marriage were considered scandalous, wild, and unmannered. It makes me sad to think how easlily accpeted, and widespread premarital sex has become today. I'm OBVIOUSLY not one to speak considering I have had a baby, BUT now that I'm in a better place, and now that I have looked back, I wish i would not have been one to so easily accept it.
I say call premarital sex scandalous! I say don't let something that should be special between two people be an activity to cure boredom. I say stop facilitating a place for your son to bring his girlfriend to spend the night. I understand that people have their ability to choose-So elminating this issue is impossible. But just don't make it so easy.
Just sayin.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Don't call wickedness happiness. By the way, you seem to be getting happier and happier.

    ReplyDelete